Friday, January 16, 2009

Pleasantly Pleasing Potatoes

I just ate mashed potatoes for lunch. What was that all about? LOL.

Since Christmas, I've been trying to eat a little better. Not a resolution, not a diet, not watching carbs or fats, just trying to monitor what goes in my mouth a little better than I was before, Haha. So I'm sitting here and in the back of my mind, I thinking about the little bowl, and I mean, custard cup little, of mashed potatoes sitting in my fridge. First of all, why would anyone save such a dinky amount of mashed potatoes instead of just chucking them? Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think it was ME that saved them. You know, I think something subconscious was going on there at the time of the saving, LOL. Earlier in the day I had been thinking about what I was going to have for lunch today and certainly, it was not mashed potatoes. Most afternoons I have a bowl of cereal or oatmeal, or once in a while I'll have a sandwich, but not usually, or something that was leftover from supper the night before. Or nothing at all. So what compelled me to just get up, walk over to the refrigerator and grab that little bowl? I think it's the same concept as when you have a little extra cash, you just can't wait to go spend it. It burns a hole in your pocket. The potatoes were burning a hole in my fridge and I wasn't going to be happy until they were gone...eaten...by me. LOLOL. I have no regrets. They were delicious.

Can you believe how darned cold it is this week? Man, if you believe in global warming, you'd better rethink that. Actually, I just read a few days ago that now they say we're heading into a mini ice age. How convenient, gee, didn't they say that about 30 or so years ago? All I know is, there's no warming going on in my neck of the world. My outdoor thermometer read -5 degrees this morning, brrr. Although the heat is turned up to about 68 in the house, it still feels colder than that. I wonder why 68 in the winter feels so much colder than 68 in the summer. Isn't 68, 68 no matter how you slice it? LOL

Mark, Cora and I went to Erika and Scott's last night to visit with baby Persson. I felt a little sad for Cora. Ever since her little mind could think, she's always known Scott and Erika to be her fun and goofy aunt and uncle. At their house she was always the center of attention and never had to be "spoken" to. Now, all she knows is that her auntie and uncle have this new little person in their lives taking their attention away from her. Everything is, the baby this and the baby that, Persson this and Persson that. Wash your hands, don't touch that, be gentle, that belongs to Persson, stay out of there, that's Persson's pacifier, not yours, be careful, don't push the swing, LOL. I'm not saying that Erika and Scott are over the top with Persson or ignoring Cora, in fact they are so laid back and at ease with him, you'd think this was their second or third child. Cora is just so used to being an only child...or should I say princess, lol, and not knowing the difference between Persson being her cousin as opposed to a sibling, she's just acting a bit jealous. Last night she got a little unruly and was touching things she shouldn't, answering back with her two year old, "NO" and trying to "help" where she shouldn't have been helping. But the clencher was, as she tried to snuggle up to Bup while he was holding Persson, she let out a sneeze right on the top of his little head. Oh lord, I just couldn't believe it. As a new parent, I think I would have insisted everyone leave, NOW. Erika laughed it off and seemed to chalk it up to things that will happen, but Scott, went silent. I knew exactly what he was feeling but there was absolutely nothing to undo what had just happened. I felt terrible and not only that, it was all caught on video, LOL. And to make matters worse, two seconds later, Cora leans over and knocks a glass of ice onto the floor. I cleaned it up, got our coats and home we went. Luckily for Cora, since her mom has no boyfriend or prospects of marriage and more children for while, Cora will be able to understand a little better what's going on, when the time comes for her to have a new brother or sister.

Now I have some housework to finish and a bit of reading to do before Miss Cora wakes up from her nap. I hope everyone is keeping warm in this freezing weather. If not, try eating a bowl of mashed potatoes. It should help to put down a layer of fat to keep you nice and warm. LOL

Take care all,
Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment