Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Getting Older or Not

This past summer I felt really great. I felt strong and healthy and I had a lot of energy to, in addition to my regular house work, take care of the garden, the flowers and little miss Cora, all at the same time. Some of you reading this may think that taking care of flowers and a garden is kind of lame, but let me tell you, it's really hard and tiring work. Especially in 90 degree temperatures. Especially with a 3 year old to take care of. Especially since I'm the grandmother and not the mother. Especially since I turned 49 this year, Haha.

A few years ago, just after Cora and Trevor were born, I felt big changes going on in my body. Joints ached, I felt tired but couldn't sleep soundly, my knees hurt, I was getting headaches and I was putting on weight. I knew what was happening but I hated to admit it. I didn't want to be one of those women who has every premenopausal symptom in the book. Mind you, I was NOT menopausal then, nor am I now, but many of the signs and symptoms were screaming, "your getting older, your getting older." Honestly, I've never really cared about my age and getting older has never bothered me. In fact, I can't wait to be 50 years old next year. So the getting older part was not the problem, the symptoms were. With the addition of 4 grandchildren in 2 and half years, and one living here, I was lifting more, cleaning more and babysitting more. Which maybe was the reason for the symptoms, or added to the symptoms or compounded the symptoms. Whatever the reason, some days, I really felt like the proverbial "grandmother."

I'm happy to say that, as the years have gone by and the babies are all growing, lots of my getting older symptoms have subsided. After eating healthier and losing 18 pounds this year, I feel better than I did when I was in my 30's. Until last week. I woke up one morning and felt a searing, painful knot in the upper left portion of my shoulder blade. I've had this happen in the past, quite severely in fact, the year Krista and Steve got married, so I knew what I had to do. Get to my chiropractor right away. Five years ago, this man brought me out of the depths of the most intense pain I have ever felt in my life. Remember, I've had lower back surgery and 3 C-sections. Mere "boo boos" compared to what I felt that year. So I headed off to see Doug who I knew would fix me up in a jiffy. Well, to make a long story short, after thee visits in one week's time, I was worse. Electric nerve pain shot through my shoulder, arm and hand. Finding a comfortable position was nearly impossible. Still, the pain was not as bad as it was 5 years ago. Doug ordered an X-ray to see exactly what the problem was and yesterday it was revealed that I have arthritis in my neck which was pressing on the nerve near the disc. Okay, now I feel old, haha. Honestly, one does begin to feel old fast, when pain is constant and movement is limited. Alas, I am very hopeful. A- Because I believe in a God who heals and hears my prayers and B- because that same God has blessed my chiropractor with the knowledge and wisdom to help people like me. Since my chiro treatment yesterday I am feeling much relief and am confident that after tomorrow's appointment I will be back to normal. I am grateful for my good health, my strong bones for my Chiropractor Doug, and most of all, for my God who has promised to take care of me and has me in the palm of His hand.

Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment