Friday, August 20, 2010

My Twins, My Sisters


Twins, we are, it's plain to see,
I'm just like you, you're just like me.

Two grown together from the start
beneath our mother's loving heart.

We'll be together until the end
because I was born with my best friend.

I think there was more to that poem but I'm not sure. I can't seem to locate it anymore. It was given to me as a gift after Krista and Erika were born and I always loved it.

As most of you know, Erika has moved away leaving behind her twin. I always knew they were close, I always knew they were "connected," but it really struck me deeply when I saw Krista's broken heart upon learning that Erika was moving. I knew, that of all the family members, Krista would be affected by the separation the most. They are each other's right arm. Never far apart, always just a jump in the car away. Mother's to each other's children, confidants, and keepers of sisterly secrets. It's true what they say about the twin bond, there's no denying that. Although Erika wears a tougher exterior, I know with all certainty, her heart was split in two with the very thought of having to leave Krista.

My son in-law Steve, has a heart of gold. He's thoughtful, funny, caring and emotional. When seeing how physically upset Krista was at the news of Erika moving away, he surprised her with plane tickets for her and Trevor to go and visit Erika. With one week left until departure day, I asked Krista if she was excited about her upcoming visit. Her reply was, "yes, but I'm not even there yet and I feel sad about having to leave to come back home." Again, it made me realize just how connected they are. To put it into perspective, I began to think about my own two sisters. How much I love them both, how I take for granted the closeness in distance to which we live and that I've never had to long for either one of them. They've always been there, physically and emotionally. For a moment, I actually began to lose my breath at the very thought of one of my sisters not being nearby. How it would feel if I had to depend on annual or semi-annual visits just to hug, kiss and touch them. I don't even want to think about that.

This morning at 6:00, Krista and Trevor boarded a plane to go visit Erika, Scott and Persson. I know all too well, their time there will fly by. I know that the part of Krista that is just like me, will be anxious to get home to see Steve and Warren, yet profoundly sad about leaving her "other half".

It's funny, husbands think they are the "other half" but learn quite quickly that there is nothing, not even a husband that can replace what sisters share with each other.
I am so grateful to God for blessing me with daughters. I am grateful that they are all, loving, caring and attentive to each other. That's so important with any siblings, not just sisters, especially as we all get older.

2 comments:

  1. Well, didn't that just make me cry during my lunch hour. I love you, too. And you, Paula and mom and dad are the very reason I would never move out of state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the best. I love you so much!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete